236 Washington Street, Binghamton, New York 13901
Visitor Information: 607-778-2480 - E-mail: email@example.com
The Robert Morton organ at the Forum is an instrument with four keyboards,
or "manuals", and twenty-four groups (or "ranks") of pipes. It was
originally used in the America Theater in Denver in the 1920's. It was
removed in 1930 and installed in the Pillar of Fire Church in Denver.
The church used it until about 1970, when it was removed by a speculator
who transported it to Michigan and stored it in a chicken coop(!) By that
time, the trustees of the Binghamton Savings Bank were looking for a
theater organ to install in the Forum as a gift to the community. In 1975
they located the Morton organ through a Tennessee broker and sent out two
technicians to Michigan to examine it. They purchased the instrument and
had it transported to Binghamton. It was restored and installed in the
Forum under the direction of local technician George Melnyk.