Back To Radstock Collieries Index
(From visits on the 9th and 17th of September 2020 and 23rd April 2021)
(Updated June 2021) (Updated September 2021)
1. Lower Writhlington Colliery
2. Braysdown Colliery & Incline
3. Foxcote Colliery (Update)
Writhlington To Upper Writhlington (North) Incline (New)
5. Upper Writhlington North To Incline Top (Updated)
6. Tyning Colliery (Updated)
7. Ludlow Colliery
8. Ludlow Colliery to Mount Pleasant Coal Depot.
9. Kilmersdon Colliery & Incline.
10. Huish Colliery & Incline (new).
11. Clandown & Middle Collieries. (Two Pages) (New)
12. S&DR "Quarry" Branch. (New)
13. Wellsway Colliery and Incline. (New)
The Dundee & Newtyle Rlwy Walks Opened in 1831 the route had three incline planes. The
first was from the terminal station on Ward Street, up the
Dundee Law, where
there was also a tunnel. The second was the Balbeuchley incline at Rosemill and the third at Hatton that ran down to Newtyle station. It was also the very first passenger train
service in Scotland. Worked by Horse over the levels until the first steam engine was purchased in 1833. Came under the Caladonian Railway with it's terminal moved to
Dundee West station. Passengers service ended in 1952 and the line totally closed in the mid 60's. The inclines were by-passed in the 1860's.
The Cromford & High Peak Incline railway in Derbyshire has been luckier in having much of it's buildings, including an Engine House preserved. This is what could have
happened with the D&N, indeed, should have happened with at least one of the D&N inclines. However, the C&H gives an excellent comparison of what the D&N would have looked
like, albeit the inclines were only single track.
Boddam To Ellon Branch (Walks) By Bill Reid. Ex GNSR branch line.
Dyce To Fraserburgh and Peterhead Walks. Ex GNSR
Bath To Wellow Rlwy Walks Ex Somerset & Dorset Rlwy.
Chippenham To Caln Walk.
The Test Valley Railway Walk. (New Mills To Hayfield).
Hosted by www.theatreorgans.com
BACK TO HOME PAGE