28th December 2013 will be the 104th anniversary of Ken's birth.
56 HALF A CENTURY + OF MEMORIES 56
March the 11th 2013 records that it was exactly 56 years since Ken Griffin passed away. Half a century and more on, his music continues to entertain and his memory lives on through these pages and his many
devoted fans throughout the World. Ken would have been 103. He claimed that he had recorded enough tunes to last a hundred years. We are now past the half a century mark.
While his career was brief and his life ended far too young, Ken has left behind a legacy of fine music and an organ sound that will forever be known as the ' Griffin Sound.' From just one recording 'You Can't Be
True, Dear' Ken's star rocketed him to worldwide fame. It may not be burning so brightly after all these years but it is far from extinguished and it's afterglow will continue as long as his fans and this web site
remain and also as long as people,
from any generation, enjoy music and song that has real melody. Long may Ken's memory, as the old tune says 'Linger On'.
"62 YEARS" It will be 63 years on the 31st of December 2011 that Ken published You Can't Be True, 28Dear and The Cuckoo Waltz.
Four early tracks by Ken. The first three demonstrate his early arrangements, while the fourth demonstrates his later Columbia arrangement for the Hammond of Louisianna Serenade compared to the 1954
arrangement for the Wurlitzer Electrostatic organ.
13. 02. 13 . My thanks to Wilfred Hosteland who has n advert by Colmba from Billboard magazine of March 6th 1954 in connection with records by Ken at that time. The printwas is too smallto read the text but
I have managed to copy and crop Ken's image from the poster and dispay it here. Wilfred hopes to get a copy from Lirary of Congress or from N.Y. Public Library, who we hope will be added later.
It is interesting seeing Ken introduced as The Wizard Of The Organ, The Miracle Man Of The Organ and now The Wizard of Chicago 56 years after his death "The Wizrd Of Chicago. It seems that Ken's 'Star' is
still glowing fondly.
N.B My apolgies for getting this information wrong originally.
NEW 2-CD RECORD SET APRIL 2013
15. 02. 13. Bryon Young writes:
Found this CD on Amazon.com available for pre-order––to be released April 16. Hope the transfers are good!
Those I marked (???) are not in your discography or Don Boudreaux's and I am not familiar with the tune
Baby Rocks On (unless they have the wrong title for Happy Birthday Medley from Broadcast Records.
Also Have You Ever Been Lonely, although I know the tune, is not in the discographies, either.
Bill: I suspect that you are correct about Baby Rocks On. Happy Birthday it appeared on this page as a playable mp3 file some while back, along with another less known/used track by Ken, My Life's Story.
I do hve a copy of Ken playing Have You Ever Been lonely, which is on a Broadcast 78. The B side is either Do You Ever Think Of Me or My Life's Story, if I have the tracks in successive order. The
reason I have missed this for the Discology is that it is on a CD of 78's that was sent to me when this Web Site started and with all the other tracks being in my 'official' collection it didn't show up when
forming the Discology. I will put this right once I know the record it belongs to.
There is nothing new in the CD set but it will be interesting hearing what the tracks sound like and whether they have received any professional remastering.
It is interesting noting that the B&W photo of Ken that I received from Kirby Griffin back in the late 50's, early 60's has been used on the front cover and has received some very nice colouring via a
computer graphic programme.
I couldn't get anywhere with the Amazon link above. I found the CD set by tying in the CD name into Amazon's web site and found that you can only request to be informed when the CD's are ready for sale...
Click on this link: The Wizard Of Chicago CD Set.
DISC ONE BROADCAST RECORDS DISC TWO RONDO RECORDS
1. Ballad To A Lovely Lady 1. Yes Sir, That's My Baby
2. Sentimental Journey 2. College Days Medley
3. Darktown Strutters Ball 3. Margie
4. Melody In F 4. The Donkey Serenade
5. Bummel Petros 5. The Whistler And His Dog
6. That Naughty Waltz 6. Tipi-Tin
7. The Griffin Blues 7. Souviner Waltz
8. Apple Blossom Wedding 8. Twelfth Street Rag
9. Indian Love Call 9. Heavenly Hawaii
10. Red Wing 10. Sentimental Me
11. A Gay Ranchero 11. Music, Music, Music
12. Oh! Why Did I Kiss That Girl? 12. Stardust
13. Lazy River 13. The Wedding Of Lilli Marlene
14. Lili Marlene 14. Half A Heart
15. Do You Ever Think Of Me? 15. Bautiful Wisconsin
16. St. Louis Blues 16. Funiuli Funicula
17. Mickey 17. Ceilito Lindo
18. Missouri Waltz 18. Beerbarrel Polka
19. Blond Sailor 19. Wabash Blues
20. Hawaiian Echoes 20. Jumping Beans
21. Glow Worm 21. Santa Lucia
22. Every Little Movement 22. Under A Red Umbrella
23. Barcarolle 23. Love Was The Cause Of It All
24. Have You Ever Been Lonely? (???) 24. You Didn't Want Me When You Had Me
25. Cuckoo Waltz 25. Bayadare
26. Baby Rocks On (???) 26. Your'e My Love Song
27. My Isle Of Golden Dreams 27. Someday You'll Want Me To Want You
28. The Prune Song 28. Leibestraum
29. You Can't Be True, Dear 29. MIss You
According to Bryon this set has been set-up by Tony Nobbs, who dealt with Jasimine records to produce the ealier CD set but is now dealing with another company. Apparently Jasmine didn't wish to progress with
Ton'ys plans for producing more CD's by Ken. It looks as if the tracks on this latest CD set are from the selectionof recordings I sent Tony when he first considered producing new CD's of Ken's records.
INTERNET PIPE & ELECTRIC ORGAN RADIO STATION
Alan Ashton has a very intersting internet radio station going over at Organist's web site. It is a monthly programme changing on the 1st of each month. Alan introduces old and new recordings in a very pleasant manner and his enthusiasm and knowledge comes through. Check this month's programme out at: Organ 1st Radio Alan's July 2008 programme included two tracks from the CD Set, whicht is selling extremely well. In the September 2008 programme Alan introduced our great Ken play-a-like organist Eric Larson and played a couple of his recordings. Be sure to tune in on the 1st of each month. Click on the Organ 1st Radio link, above.
"Drifting & Dreaming" REXX 334. 2 x CD by Ken will be availabe from the 22nd June 2009. Another 50 great recordings, which I am sure will contain your favourites and possibly a good few tracks that you have never heard before. Click on the photo to go to Organs.co.uk web site for full details. Price: £8.95.
Skate On from Jasmines became a best selling CD's it would be nice if you can all help to possibly make this one by Rexx 334 an even bigger hit.
50 GREAT TRACKS on two CD's
If you only know Ken from You Can't Be True, Dear and Cuckoo Waltz, this fantastic collection will introduce you to the greater depth of Ken's playing styles and prove what a great organist and musical arranger he was.
"SKATE ON" This Best Seller is still available at Jasmine's Store. Click On photo.
Hawaiian Magic CD available (Click here)
Go to new record Company for all the latest news on what's happening in the organ world and the latest organ CD's on the market.
THE HISTORICAL RECORD COMPANY Features all types of organ music, with an emphasis on recordings made on the Sanfillipo Wurlitzer Organ and their magnificently preserved Fun Fair organs.
Latest News (Click to go to News Page)
29.05.13 Fresh photos Of Ken at the Wurlitzer Electrostatic organ (Link 23) below
13. 02. 13. Fresh Photo Of Ken At The Organ
15. 02. 13. New 2-CD Set Available On Pre-Sale from Amazon.
14. 06. 2012 Rondo "The Griffin Years" 14th June 2012 By Bryon Young. (Link 43.)
15. 02. 2011 You Can't Be True, Dear and Love In Bloom mp3 tracks from the Spike Jones Show 1949 (Link 18)
22. 11. 11 N.B. New contact address. See bottom of page.
13. 08. 10 Discology updated. Most Columbia 78's added, including date of publication. Link 26. My thanks to Bryon Young for the link to the
web site showing Columbia recordings. Bryon's page has been updated to show this list and link, at Link 39. You may find this of
interest for other Columbia artists.
N.B. Link 28 is a blank link due to work not yet beings started on the Album photo collection.
(About myself and the record collection)
2. Obituaries (Updated 28. 02. 13)
78rpm collection (11.
11. 07 One 78 added)
4. Extended play Includes cover pictures.
7. Ken's CD Collection (New 06. 06. 08)
Vocalists on Ken's records (Update
The Ken Griffin Dedication Show Reports
Visit to To Sanfilippo Estate
Joe Negri & Johnny Costa News
18. Ken On Spike Jones Radio Show (Updated 13.03.04)
19. 1942 Postcard Photo of Ken (New 29th June 2004)
20. Ken Master Pressings (26.01.06)
(Update 23. 06. 05)
26 Ken Griffin Discography Last update 20th July 2009.
28. Ken Griffin Record Labels (W.I.P.)
The Conn Organ
(Re-write 24. 08. 05)
The Wurlitzer ES Organ.
The Hammond Organ.
Ken's Mother-of-Pearle Hammond AV
Ken's Special Effects
Sally's Page (New
36. Electronic Organs (Update 7th July 2010)
Wilfred Hosteland's Page
(Update 23rd Feb. 2003)
38. Danish & English Organ Web Site.
(N.B. New Web Site & URL)
39. Bryon Young's Pages (Update 13th Aug. 2010)
40. Phil Gunsul Commemoration (24th Dec 2005)
Rondo "The Griffin Years" 14th June 2012
Personal Web Sites (Click on Text)
My personal web sites and pages links have been formed into one Index page where you can click on any article that may interest you.